What is the GDD Network?
Digital scholarship relies on access to digital sources but finding these sources, whether a large corpus for digital scholarship or a single text for in-depth study, is often difficult.
All around the world, libraries, archives and search providers are digitising collections to make them available. While this is making millions of texts available online, there is still no single place where you can search all of them at once.
The difficulty of discovering digitised texts, including but extending beyond the millions of items digitised by national libraries and mass digitisation programmes, often means that these efforts do not have the impact they could and should.
The Global Digitised Dataset Network (GDD Network) is a research collaboration investigating the feasibility of creating a global catalogue of digitised texts, which would enable people to search and find texts, and access them for reading, digital scholarship, collections analysis, and more.
Why create a globalised dataset?
A global dataset describing digitised texts would bring three important benefits to researchers, digital scholars, and to those who are undertaking digitisation:
- Digital scholars seeking large corpora of texts could easily search and compile links to items across many sources, creating new or bespoke collections.
- Readers wishing to find a digitised text would be able to search quickly and efficiently across all potential sources.
- Libraries undertaking digitisation programmes would be able to discover already digitised texts, and thereby make their own digitisation efforts more efficient by avoiding duplication.
Who is doing this work?
The GDD Network is a collaboration of organisations that are interested in the discovery of digitised texts. The Network is led by the University of Glasgow in Scotland, in close collaboration with The HathiTrust, based in the USA.
The key partners are:
- British Library
- National Library of Scotland
- National Library of Wales
- Research Libraries UK (RLUK)
Find out more about the Network Members.
The GDD Network is funded by the UK-based Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC).